Free-to-Play: Making Money From Games You Give Away explains how to use the business model that has revolutionized the videogames industry, creating huge hits, multi-billion dollar start-ups and a new deal for players: Play for free, spend on what you like.
Written as an accessible and complete guide to the F2P model. Inside you’ll discover how the economics work, how to design games that keep players, how to gather and use player data, how to market your game and everything else you need to build, run and make money from games you give away.
- Psychology behind player decisions and the motivations to play
- Simple and accessible explanations of the maths and economic theories behind F2P, including worked examples
- Processes for capturing and using player data to improve your game
- Marketing tips on positioning your app and attracting players
- Plus: A downloadable F2P spreadsheet, articles from the author, a foreword by NimbleBit co-founder Ian Marsh and an interview with Zynga CEO, Mark Pincus.
Ian Marsh, co-founder, NimbleBit:
Will’s knowledge of F2P comes from years of building games, as well as writing about and consulting with developers on the model. All the topics covered in this book–economics, gameplay, monetization, analytics, and marketing–are important to consider when you’re building an F2P game, and Will covers each with an easy-to-digest style.
Free-to-Play is widely available in most physical and ebook stores.